Brushing your teeth properly is the first step to maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Plus, it helps minimize the risk of tooth decay and gum problems, the major causes of tooth loss.Proper brushing takes at least two minutes — that’s right, 120 seconds! which includes 30 seconds brushing each section of your mouth (upper right, upper left, lower right and lower left), both morning and night. Most adults do not come close to brushing that long.
Steps To Brush Your Teeth Properly
- Take a pea size amount of toothpaste on your brush
- Start with outer and inner surfaces, and brush at a 45-degree angle in short,
- Clean the outer surfaces of your upper teeth, then your lower teeth
- Clean the inner surfaces of your upper teeth, then your lower teeth
- Move on to chewing surfaces. Hold the brush flat and brush back and forth along these surfaces.
- For fresher breath, be sure to brush your tongue, too
- Be sure to brush gently along the gum line.
- Get into the habit of doing floss every night.